Activity 2: A snapshot of Pudong
In this activity you will:
- investigate the creation and development of the Pudong New Area of Shanghai
- create an online presentation displaying your findings.
Key inquiry question: Why was the Pudong New Area created and what are some of the characteristics of its built environment?
- Discuss what you have already discovered in Activity 1 about the Pudong New Area of Shanghai.
- Look at the Google Maps Interactive website. Type in China and locate Shanghai, then navigate up the river to locate the Pudong New Area and the Bund on the opposite side of the river. Press the markers on the map to find out the names and locations of the famous and tall buildings, key parks and other amenities located in the business centre.
- For more information about Pudong go to Welcome to Pudong.
- More images and information about Pudong can be accessed at In pictures: The changing face of Shanghai (notes, photographs/slideshow) from Al Jazeera.
- Discuss as a class your observations about the design of Shanghai and the differences between the Bund and the Pudong New Area.
- Look at the images of Pudong New Area and describe the built environment visible in these images.
- Use the information about the built environment of Pudong and make notes including source references your sources on the topics listed below with a view to creating an online presentation:
- general information such as location and climate
- history of its development
- description of the built environment with supporting images of Pudong, old and new areas
- infrastructure such as services provided
- future economic growth predications including investment.
- Plan and create a template for your presentation. Think about ways you could enhance it, for example, by including a sketch map giving details of Pudong and its key commercial and residential areas. Bear in mind the importance of the following:
- spelling and grammar.
- Share your presentations with the rest of the class.
- Discuss and suggest some of the advantages and problems associated with creating a new economic area within an existing city.
- Review your inquiry questions created at the beginning of Activity 1 and see if you can answer any of them. If so, add the information to the displayed list of questions.