- Curriculum Resources
- Foundation Geography: Special places
- Year 3 Geography: Images of Indonesia
- Year 5 Geography: Life in a floating village
- Year 6 Geography: Connecting to Asia
- Year 6 Geography: Seeing beyond Asia
- Year 6 Geography: Australia-Malaysia connections
- Year 7–8 Geography: Damming the Yangtze at Three Gorges
- Years 7-8 Geography: Jakarta faces
- Year 7 Geography: Why dam the Mekong River?
- Year 8 Geography: Urban growth in China
- Year 9: Shanghai – a city on the move
- Year 9: South Korea – creating a sustainable giant
- Year 10: Measuring wellbeing
- The Arts
- Civics and Citizenship
- Economics and Business
- Resources banks
Year 7-8 Geography: Damming the Yangtze at Three Gorges
This learning sequence investigates the controversy surrounding the Three Gorges Dam and the impact it has had on the Chinese people and environment. Students explore the use of infographics, maps and websites to convey information and opinion and design their own infographic to communicate their understanding of the human and environmental impacts of the Three Gorges Dam.
Key focus questions:
What impact has the Three Gorges Dam had on the people and the environment?
What are the most significant human and environmental impacts of the Three Gorges Dam?
How can information be visually presented to effectively communicate your ideas?
Teacher notes include activity suggestions, alignment to the Australian Curriculum and useful weblinks.
Students investigate the impact of dam construction particularly the Three Gorges Dam on the people and environment along the Yangtze River.
Students explore life before and after the construction of the Three Gorges Dam and analyse the depth of the affects on Yangtze River communities.
Students create an infographic to present their understanding of the topic.
Students reflect on what they have learned about dam construction, the environment and people's lives, and expressing knowledge.
Photo acknowledgements: Three Gorges Dam by GDS infographics (CC BY 2.0) – Activity 1; Satellite images from NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center Scientific Visualization Studio United States Geological Survey – Activity 2; Impacts mindmap by Learning Fundamentals – Activity 3; AEF – Activity 4.
© 2013 Education Services Australia Ltd. Unless otherwise indicated, this material may be used, reproduced and communicated free of charge for non-commercial educational purposes within Australia and in overseas schools where the Australian Curriculum is taught until 31 August 2018, provided all acknowledgements are retained.