Language teachers are encouraged to advocate for languages education as actively and widely as possible, across their school ‘s community: students, parents, teachers of other learning areas and school leaders.
Strengthening parent’s support and demand for Asian Languages is an important part of the schools role in developing and advocating their language program.
Five key approaches have been identified in strengthening parental support for the learning of Asian Languages in schools:
1. Build and formalise leadership to parental engagement:
2. Foster parents’ awareness and positive views of Asian languages and cultures:
3. Build and sustain parent demand for Asian language learning:
4. Keep parents in the loop about the language program and their child’s progress:
5. Provide parents with practical tools to support their child’s language learning:
Adapted from What Works 8: Parents and the learning of Asian Languages in schools.
Overnewton Anglican Community College
St Columba's College
back to top