The PNGAus Partnership: Secondary Schools is a unique opportunity for Australian secondary schools to partner high performing Papua New Guinean secondary schools. This program aims to strengthen relationships between Papua New Guinean and Australian secondary schools to deepen people-to-people links and build secondary education capabilities in STEM, English and student agency.
The pilot program will see 12 high performing secondary schools in Papua New Guinea and 12 secondary schools in Australia engaged in reciprocal immersion experiences in PNG and Australia during 2019 and 2020. The program will involve three phases; pre-departure, in-country and post-trip, which will include:
- formal professional learning for teachers
- collaborative projects amongst schools
- student leadership initiatives; and
- a reciprocal in-school component with delegation from partner school, including a homestay.
This program has been developed under the PNG-Australia bilateral partnership as a new school education initiative enhancing engagement between PNG and Australian schools. The PNGAus Partnership: Secondary Schools program is fully funded by the Australian High Commission in PNG to support schools to stimulate their curiosity, understanding and interest in engaging more deeply with Australia.
Benefits for Schools
The program aims to develop intercultural skills, student leadership capacity and personal connections amongst counterparts.
The three key objectives of PNGAus Partnership Program are to:
- Improve secondary school education capabilities in targeted areas
- Build student empowerment through the development of leadership skills and an expanded world view
- Strengthen the public diplomacy between the two countries.