The PNGAus Partnership Secondary Schools initiative aims to strengthen relationships between Papua New Guinean (PNG) and Australian secondary schools. Delivered across two years, this initiative will deepen people-to-people links and build secondary education capabilities in STEM, English and student agency.
The pilot initiative saw 12 high performing secondary schools in Papua New Guinea and 12 secondary schools in Australia engage in reciprocal immersion experiences in PNG and Australia during 2019. The program was comprised of:
- formal professional learning for teachers and school leaders
- collaborative projects amongst schools
- student leadership initiatives; and
- a school visit component with participants travelling to both Australia and PNG
This initiative was developed under the PNG-Australia bilateral partnership as a new school education initiative enhancing engagement between PNG and Australian schools. The PNGAus Partnership Secondary Schools initiative is fully funded by the Australian High Commission in PNG to support schools to stimulate their curiosity, understanding and interest in engaging more deeply with Australia.
The three key objectives of PNGAus Partnership Secondary Schools initiative are:
- improve secondary school education capabilities in targeted areas including STEM, English language, youth agency and leadership, girls and inclusive education
- build student empowerment through the development of leadership skills and an expanded world view; and
- strengthen the public diplomacy between the two countries.
Entering its second year, in 2020/21 the initiative will expand to involve new participants from the same 24 schools as well as representatives from the PNG National Department of Education and 12 Provincial Education Divisions. Investing even more in women’s and girls’ leadership and innovation, the initiative will deepen partnerships by developing intercultural skills and personal connections amongst counterparts.
Follow the conversation on social media with #PNGAusPartnership.
For more information and any enquiries, please contact Ms Sophie Howlett, Manager, on email@example.com
or 0438 054 67.
The PNGAus Partnership Secondary Schools initiative is managed by Tetra Tech International Development on behalf of the Australian Government, supported by Asia Education Foundation at Asialink, The University of Melbourne.