A professional learning culture in your school that provides the opportunity for all staff to build Asia capability is essential.
A high quality professional learning culture for Asia capability is characterised by:
- a sustained commitment to a change process focused on Asia capability led by staff
- making the acquisition of Asia capability a priority, explicitly planning and allocating time to meet this need
- disciplined collaboration aimed at specific and relevant goals in relation to Asia that relate to the learning needs of students
- a shared moral imperative underpinning teaching about Asia and Australia’s engagement with Asia
- learning from and with those in your school with Asia-related expertise and experience
- knowing what development opportunities staff need and how this relates to student learning needs.
The Australian Charter for the Professional Learning of Teachers and School Leaders (AITSL) describes the importance and characteristics of high quality professional learning in improving teacher and school leader practice.
Online professional learning communities
Encourage staff participation in the increasingly popular online networks such as:
Illustration of practice